Subject: Plankton

Lindsay J Porter (h9390327@hkucc.hku.hk)
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 11:37:12 +0800 (HKT)

>Whales consumes tons of plankton plus other various food during normal
>feeding times. My question is that if we lose the whales due to mass
>killings by various nations would this have a great effect on the amount
>of plankton not readily comsumed by whales cause a over abundance of
>plankton. Wouldn't this cause some parts of our oceans to become thick
>with plankton?

Dear John,
Many apologies but I am unsure what the answer to this question is.  My
understanding is that the plankton themselves are under some pressure from
fisheries, other apex predators (seals/sea lions) and pollution.  In
addition I came across this article in WhaleNet while trying to search for
more information on your question.

Sorry I can't be more helpful

best wishes
Lindsay