Subject: Tracking whales

Lindsay J Porter (h9390327@hkucc.hku.hk)
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 11:51:35 +0800 (HKT)

>My name is Caitlin Fagan from Spokane, Washington. I am nine years old.
>
>How do you track whales?

Dear Caitlin,

Whales can be tracked in several ways.  By identifying individuals through
unique scars and markings and re-photographing their occurence in various
places.  As you can imagine, however, when a whale travels from one end of
the earth to another the chances of following and re-finding individual
whales is very difficult.  Instead, small radio or satelite tags are
attached to whales so that electronic signals are continously emmitted and
received by satelites in space (which relay it to earth).  In this way  a
whale 'tagged' in the Gulf of Maine can be followed all the way to the
Carribean.  If you want to learn of a real tagging programmes in progress
check out the WhaleNet page at

http://whale.wheelock.edu/whalenet-stuff/stop_cover.html

best wishes
Lindsay