Subject: Whale Watching in Boston

S. Jones (betej@u.washington.edu)
Thu, 23 Jul 1998 09:51:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 22 Jul 1998 Aphroditze@aol.com wrote:

> Hello.  My family and i are planning a trip aty the end of August to the
> Boston area.  I was wondering if it would be worth our while to go whale
> watching at that time of year.  My family went a few years ago at a different
> time and they were dissapointed at the few hales that they saw.  Also, in
> addition to the whales being there at that time, do you think that dolphins
> will be there?  i am very fond of dolphins, so i was wondering if there would
> be a chance that i see them.  Thank you very much,
> Sincerely,
> Alie

Dear Alie,

It is common to find humpback whales, fin whales, minke whales, right
whales, and white-sided dolphins off the coast of Cape Ann and Cape Cod
from spring to fall.  There is always a possibility you will not see them
because the ocean is a big place!  But, most of the whale watching tours
these days have spotting services (airplanes that look for whales before
the boats go out for the day) and some offer a money-back guarantee if you
don't see any marine mammals.

If you look on http://whale.wheelock.edu/whalenet-stuff/whalewatch.html,
you will find a list of whale watch companies that are associated with
whalenet.  These companies offer tours that have more of an educational
emphasis than some of the others you may find.  Another place to contact
is the New England Aquarium at http://www.neaq.org/visit/whalewatch.html.
I believe their tour leaves Boston Harbor and heads for Stellwagen Bank
where many whales go to feed during the summer.

I hope this information is helpful!

Bete