Subject: Re: strange orca

S. Jones (betej@u.washington.edu)
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:04:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Eric PONCELET wrote:

> Dear Bete Jones,
>
> Here is the picture of a strange orca (cf. attach), I wonder if this
> "abnormally" blunt rostrum is simply a deformity of one individual or is
> the common profile of a race of killer whale ?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
>           Eric PONCELET
>           E-mail : poncelet@essi.fr
>           Web Site : http://orca.citeweb.net
>           News : news://news.citeweb.net/ctw.science.orca

Dear Eric,

The orca in the picture does look like its rostrum may be a bit shorter
than normal, but it is hard to tell from the angle.  I am not aware of a
race of killer whale that has this profile.  However, tomorrow I will
be able to consult with the resident expert in my area to see what she
thinks. So, be looking for another message from me.

Bete