Subject: Whale watching

S. Jones (betej@u.washington.edu)
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 09:58:31 -0700 (PDT)

On 22 Jul 1998, Denise Meikel wrote:

>                                              QUESTION
>                                              7/22/98            4:59 PM
>

>       Special
> Announcement
>

> I saw a news story last weekend that there were more whales than ever off the California coast.  I am wild to see them.  Where should I go?  San Francisco, Santa Barbara or LA or ?
>
> I've called whale watching expeditions in each and they of course tell me that they are the best place to be.
> What do you say?  I'd go right away - by the end of July.
>
> HELP!  (And Thanks in advance)

Dear Denise,

I have not heard anything about the whales off California.  I know the
gray whales start their migration from Alaska to Baja and are seen off the
central and southern California coast in December and January.  But, it is
too early for that.  Did the news cast say what kind of whales they were
seeing?  If it was blue whales or fin whales, try contacting the Channel
Islands National Marine Sanctuary.  They are located in Santa Barbara and
are sure to know the movement and distribution patterns of whales in the
area.  Their web site is http://www.cinms.nos.noaa.gov/home.htm

Good luck!

Bete