Subject: Re: How many cromosoms a whale has?

Kim Marshall (kim@whale.org)
Tue, 1 Sep 1998 20:36:19 -0400

Question:>
Hello there lim, my sister, who lives in Mexico City doesn't have a quick-easy
>access to interner, so she asked me to research about how many cromosoms the
>whales have; any whale, it doesn't matter at this point.   Thank you very
>much.
>Martha Poffinberger

Reply:
Dear Martha,
In general whales have 44 chromosomes but some species like sperm whales
and beaked whales have 42 chromosomes.

For more information on cetacean genetics try searching WhaleNet for links
to research organizations doing genetic research.
Thank you, Kim

Kim Marshall-Tilas                                   (781) 259-0423
Whale Conservation Institute                          fax: 259-0288
191 Weston Road                      website: http://www.whale.org/
Lincoln, MA  01773
WCI is a member funded and focused organization.  Membership has
its privileges . . .