Subject: Re: Killer Whales

Kim Marshall (kim@whale.org)
Tue, 1 Sep 1998 20:58:57 -0400

>Question:
My name is Dan from Hawaii.  I was wondering what is the range of
>Killer Whales?  Is it possible for Killer Whales to come as far South
>(or North) as Hawaii?
>Mahalo and Aloha,
>Dan

Reply:
Dear Dan,
Killer whales (Orcinus orca) are a cosmopolitan species of whale.  They can
be found in polar regions and in equatorial regions.  Their distribution
worldwide is dependant upon prey availability, human predation and
environmental factors like ice cover.  They are most abundant within 300 or
so miles of continental coastlines and may be found in all oceans any time
of the year.

Resident populations can be found in places like Washington State, British
Columbia and SE Alaska.
So, yes you could see a killer whale in your area!
Thank you, Kim

Kim Marshall-Tilas                                   (781) 259-0423
Whale Conservation Institute                          fax: 259-0288
191 Weston Road                      website: http://www.whale.org/
Lincoln, MA  01773
WCI is a member funded and focused organization.  Membership has
its privileges . . .