Subject: Re: Whale migration

Kim Marshall (kim@whale.org)
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 10:38:21 -0400

Question:
Dear Kim, >
>I'm interested in knowing whether you know of maps available that show
>migration routes of marine mammals including whales. I'm trying to get a
>visual image or just basic information about how much of the Oceans' area
>is covered  during the journeys of these amazing creatures. Any ideas?
>
>Thanks in advance for making your expertise available.
>Yours truly,
>Janice
>in Toronto, Canada

Reply:
Dear Janice,
The best map I have seen showing migration routes of whales was in the
National Geographic December 1976 issue.  The map is very detailed showing
routes of different species around the world.  Try  contacting Ntl Geo at
212-857-7485 and asking how you might obtain this poster.

A good book that shows migration routes is by Mark Carwardine called
Whales, Dolphins and Porpoises.  We use this boat on our research vessel.

General Information:  The Gray whale has the longest migration of all
whales.  Humpback whales and gray whales also have the most predictable
migration patterns traveling along coastlines year after year on the same
time schedule from the tropics in winter to poleward feeding areas in the
summer months (N. hemispshere).

For a net search try WhaleNet's http://whale.wheelock.edu/howtofind.html
section.

Thank you for your interest.  Good luck! Kim

Kim Marshall-Tilas                                   (781) 259-0423
Whale Conservation Institute                          fax: 259-0288
191 Weston Road                      website: http://www.whale.org/
Lincoln, MA  01773
WCI is a member funded and focused organization.  Membership has
its privileges . . .