Subject: Re: Information on the communication and social behaviors of

Kim Marshall (kim@whale.org)
Wed, 1 Nov 1933 16:09:59 -0400

>Question:
Dear Kim, >
>	I'm doing a project in my social studies class on the communication and
>social behaviors of whales. My project is due on Monday the 14th, so I
>would appreciate any information you can give me as soon as possible.
>			Thanks,
>			   Andreea

Reply:
Dear Andrea,
Dolphins, small whales, are social animals.  They gather in herds or
schools of all sizes up to 10000 animals!  The bottlenose dolphin family
usually consists of about 5-10 members with 2-4 adult females and their
offspring.  Small groups of males swim separately hunting and watching out
for each other.  Dolphins communicate through a mix of sound, body
movements, and postures.  Above water they open their mouths and make
creaky-door sounds or high-pithced squeals and below water they make sounds
that are usually too high for humans to hear using echolocation to hunt and
navigate.  Dolphins stay with their mothers for 3-6 years.

Whistling is a form of communication that dolphins use to talk to each
other, they each have a signature whistle like a name.  Dolphins have been
known to help each other when they are in danger or injured.  Dolphin
mothers are very devoted to their calves and make sure they stay close away
from danger.  To hunt they sometimes form circles to herd fish or break up
into smaller groups to help each other out.
It is believed that dolphins are highly intelligent but scientists are not
sure how intelligent they are.

This information is from Zoobook about Dolphins.

Also search WhaleNets resources by clicking on
http://whale.wheelock.edu/howtofind.html to seach from more informatin for
your project.  Good luck!  Kim

Kim Marshall-Tilas                                   (781) 259-0423
Whale Conservation Institute                          fax: 259-0288
191 Weston Road                      website: http://www.whale.org/
Lincoln, MA  01773
WCI is a member funded and focused organization.  Membership has
its privileges . . .