Subject: Re: whales

Rui Prieto (rprieto@dop.uac.pt)
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 20:04:51 -0000

------=_NextPart_000_00CD_01BDE33F.98C2F400

Hello Ashley,

The cetaceans (whales and dolphins) in the aquariums are not different from
those of the same species in the wild. Actually, many of them came from the
wild, but others were born already in captivity. But not all the species
adapt to life in captivity. That's why in most aquariums you will see always
the same species displayed: bottlenose dolphins, pilot whales, beluga
whales, orca (killer whales) and a few other species. Other species either
are to big to be held in captivity (imagine the size of the pool you would
have to build to keep a humpback whale, and the amount of food you would
have to feed it.), or because they will not adapt to captivity and will die.
On the other hand, some species are more prone to learn behaviors than
others, and are therefore preferred for the shows.

Cheers,

Rui

-----Original Message-----
From: Karens370@aol.com <Karens370@aol.com>
To: rprieto@dop.uac.pt <rprieto@dop.uac.pt>; pita@whale.wheelock.edu
<pita@whale.wheelock.edu>; kburnett@whale.wheelock.edu
<kburnett@whale.wheelock.edu>
Date: Quinta-feira, 17 de Setembro de 1998 20:30
Subject: whales

>Hi, my name is Ashley, and I am 10 years old.  My dream is to become a
Marine
>Biologist.  I have a very important question.
>
>#1  Do you have to have a specific breed of whale in Sea World, Florida and
>other sorts of aquariums that are located outside?
>
>#2  What is your favorite breed of whale?
>
>Thank you very much.
>
>Ashley

------=_NextPart_000_00CD_01BDE33F.98C2F400
	filename="Rui Prieto.vcf"

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Prieto;Rui;;;
FN:Rui Prieto
ORG:DOP;DOP
TITLE:
TEL;WORK;VOICE:+351 22988
TEL;HOME;VOICE:+351 (092) 32054
TEL;CELL;VOICE:+351 09319960245
TEL;WORK;FAX:+351 (092) 22659
ADR;WORK:;;Cais de Sta Cruz;Horta;;9900;Portugal
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=3DQUOTED-PRINTABLE:Cais de Sta Cruz=3D0D=3D0AHorta,  =
9900=3D0D=3D0APortugal
URL:http://www.uac.pt/dop
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:rprieto@dop.uac.pt
REV:19980918T200451Z