Subject: Courses in marine biology

Rui Prieto (rprieto@dop.uac.pt)
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 19:37:26 -0100

------=_NextPart_000_0080_01BDEB17.6C2FF7A0

> Hi,
>My name is Jody and I hope to be a Marine Biologist one day and I wanted to
>know what would be some of the best colleges for me to check into. I would
>like to speacialize in working with whales and dolphins and would like to
go
>to a college with some on the job training.I would really appreciate it and
>you can take your time since I'm only in 8th grade and it's not like I'm
>applying for colleges.
>

>                                                            Sincerly,
>                                                          Jody
Lichtenberger

Hello Jody,

Unfortunanatelly I am not the best person to advise you in this matter,
since I do not live in the US. But I made some research in the WhaleNet and
found some info that may be interesting for you. If you go to the WhaleNet
search engine (hit "Search WhaleNet" in the main page) and put some key
words like "College" or "education" you will find lots of info about this
issue.
Answering a question like your's, Dr. Bob wrote to someone:

"In high school you should take the standard college prep sequence - four
years each of English, social studies, science, math, and foreign
language.  In college, i would concentrate on getting a good basic biology
education (meaning more math, physics, chemistry, and humanities, too),
and not try to concentrate too early on marine stuff.  And I don't know
any college websites except URI, which you can link to from my page on
Whalenet.  Any good internet search engine will give you lots - or ask
your guidance counselor, that's what they get paid for.  "

 You also can go to http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~smm/strat.htm (Strategies to
pursue a career in marine mammalogy, by the Society for Marine Mammalogy).

I hope this willhelp you in some way,

Good luck,

Rui

------=_NextPart_000_0080_01BDEB17.6C2FF7A0
	filename="Rui Prieto.vcf"

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Prieto;Rui;;;
FN:Rui Prieto
ORG:DOP;DOP
TITLE:
TEL;WORK;VOICE:+351 22988
TEL;HOME;VOICE:+351 (092) 32054
TEL;CELL;VOICE:+351 09319960245
TEL;WORK;FAX:+351 (092) 22659
ADR;WORK:;;Cais de Sta Cruz;Horta;;9900;Portugal
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=3DQUOTED-PRINTABLE:Cais de Sta Cruz=3D0D=3D0AHorta,  =
9900=3D0D=3D0APortugal
URL:http://www.uac.pt/dop
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:rprieto@dop.uac.pt
REV:19980928T203726Z