Subject: Oldest fishes known (for Nick)

Rui Prieto (rprieto@dop.uac.pt)
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 22:27:23 -0100

------=_NextPart_000_0114_01BDEB2F.2A38D5C0

>I would like to know what type the first fish created was, or what is
>the oldest known fish type.
>Thank you very much.
>Nick Correia - 9years old
>Waterford, California
>USA
>
>--
>Russ Richards
>RDRICHARDS@worldnet.att.net

Hello Nick,

Correia is a portuguese name. Are your folks from Portugal????

About your question, it's very difficult to know exactly wich was the first
species of fish that apeared. Even working with the same fossils, different
scientists have different oppinions about that.
The first fishes must have apeared more than 450-500 millions of years ago.
The most primitive fishes we know are the AGNATHA (meaning without mouth).
The Lampreys are members of that group, and are still alive in the present
time.
Other interesting "old" fish is the Coelacanth. This fish was tought to be
extinct for 70 million years, but in 1938 one was caught in South Africa.
The second coelacanth was caught only in 1952, but after that, there were so
many people capturing this fish for collections, that the authorities were
afraid it could become really extinct and had to protect it.

You will find very interesting information, beyond your question in this
page:

http://www.odysseyexpeditions.org/indexfish.htm

Cheers,

Rui   :-+);

------=_NextPart_000_0114_01BDEB2F.2A38D5C0
	filename="Rui Prieto.vcf"

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Prieto;Rui;;;
FN:Rui Prieto
ORG:DOP;DOP
TITLE:
TEL;WORK;VOICE:+351 22988
TEL;HOME;VOICE:+351 (092) 32054
TEL;CELL;VOICE:+351 09319960245
TEL;WORK;FAX:+351 (092) 22659
ADR;WORK:;;Cais de Sta Cruz;Horta;;9900;Portugal
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=3DQUOTED-PRINTABLE:Cais de Sta Cruz=3D0D=3D0AHorta,  =
9900=3D0D=3D0APortugal
URL:http://www.uac.pt/dop
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:rprieto@dop.uac.pt
REV:19980928T232723Z