Subject: Blue whale excrement (fwd)

Thu, 8 Oct 1998 21:29:37 -0400 (EDT)

Subject: Re: Blue whale excrement

Dear Bob,
     Blue Whale excrement is generally soft, small, mushy, "stinky" and
looks like an orange-red dye marker (atleast in the Gulf of St. Lawrence,
Quebec, Canada) in the water as it mostly liquid.  It breaks up and sinks,
but we have been fortunate enough to gather some "scat" in the Gulf of St.
Lawrence to assist us in determining the prey comsumed by blue whales.
It is only a hazard to your "nose", if you know what I mean.

Thanks for your question.

Frederick Wenzel
Research Administrator
WhaleNet