Subject: Blue whales during summer

Tue, 27 Oct 1998 10:15:58 -1000

>where do blue whales migrate to during the summer? I
have been searching
>for this information for 6 days and need the answer by Tuesday evening!
>Please help!!

There may not be as much information about the migration of blue whales because they tend to stay farthur offshore during their movements and they do not seem to have established breeding and calving areas (during the winters) like other whales (such as humpbacks and gray whales).  But, during the summer seasons in each of the hemispheres, blue whales move toward colder waters, going as far as the Arctic Ocean and Antarctic Ocean, to feed on blooms of krill and small fish that occur in these areas during the summer season.

I hope this answers your question (and in time!).  Write back anytime.

Aloha -
Jen Philips

Jennifer D. Philips
jphilips@soest.hawaii.edu