Subject: Life cycle, behavior of humpbacks

Thu, 29 Oct 1998 10:03:14 -1000

>Hi, I'm Jack B. from UES at UCLA.=A0 I am in fourth
grade.=A0 I have a
>question about whales.=A0 What is the life cycle and behavior of the
>humpback whale?=A0 Any information or web site information you can give me
>would be appreciated.=A0 Thank you.
>Jack.

Jack -

You've asked a very broad question, one that I could not begin to answer fully in one email!  I can tell you that humpback whales live to a ripe old age of maybe as much as 50 years, or more.  Humpback "behavior" can mean many things, such as migrating, feeding during the summer, giving birth and mating during the winter, breaching, singing, diving, breathing air and suckling their young.  If you have specific questions, you can email me again.  If you're not sure what questions to ask, try looking at the Whalenet Whale Behavior Links page for some clues.
http://whale.wheelock.edu/whalenet-stuff/classifications= .html

Try also taking a look at a book in your school library.  I bet they have whale books there that might be able to give you great information.

Write again if you want to ask me some specific questions!  I'd love to tell you more.

Aloha -
Jen Philips

Jennifer D. Philips
jphilips@soest.hawaii.edu