Subject: Whales species/man eaters

Fri, 30 Oct 1998 10:45:59 -1000

>Dear Jen Philips,
>I have 2 questions to ask.#1.  How many different kinds of whales are
there in
>the world?#2.  Are there any whales that are man eaters?  Thanks!

There are 10 or 11 species of baleen whales in the world, not counting the
toothed whales.  The baleen whales are:  The Right Whales = bowhead, N.
right whale, S. right whale, and pygmy right whale (which may or may not
exist, we're not sure); The Rorquals = blue, fin, minke, sei, humpback,
bryde's; and the gray whale.

No, none of these eat humans.  They all have baleen that they use to filter
very small krill from the water, tons of it at a time.  They don't even eat
very large fish , let alone humans.

There are at least 65 known species of toothed whales, which includes
dolphins, porpoises, and sperm whales.  Of these, the killer whale and
maybe the false killer whale have been known to eat other mammals, like
whales, dolphins, seals and sea lions.  But they have never been known to
kill, or EAT, humans.

So I guess there are no man eaters among any of the whales and dolphins.

Thanks for your question!  Write again anytime.

Aloha -
Jen Philips

Jennifer D. Philips
jphilips@soest.hawaii.edu