Subject: Marine biologist

Mon, 02 Nov 1998 10:11:10 -1000

>DEAR MR PHILLIPS-
>    I HAVE A REPORT ON MARINE BIOLOGY DUE ON TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 3rd.  I AM
>WONDERING IF YOU COULD ANSWER MY QUESTIONS ASAP!! THEY ARE :
>
>        1. WHAT MARINE BIOLOGISTS DO
>        2. HOW MUCH EDUCATION MARINE BIOLOGISTS REQUIRE=20

Here are my answers to your questions (I hope I get them to you on time for
your project!)

>        1. WHAT MARINE BIOLOGISTS DO
Marine biologists are scientists who study the lives and behavior of
organisms that live in the oceans of the world.  The organisms range from
tiny unicellular diatoms to sea stars to fish and to the great whales.  We
seek to further the human understanding of the species of life in the
ocean, what that life does to survive and thrive, what it contributes to
the ecosystem in which it lives, and how it came to be the way it is.

>        2. HOW MUCH EDUCATION MARINE BIOLOGISTS REQUIRE=20
(I answered this last week, and I think it will answer your question)...
A marine biologist must get years of graduate education in order to
function in the academic and research field.=A0 First, the 4-year college
bachelor's degree must be completed, then the PhD degree has to be
completed.=A0 The PhD can take anywhere from 3 to 6 years, depending on the
projects and work needing to be done.=A0 This varies for each person.=A0 The
PhD degree gives the person the title of "Doctor of Philosophy" in their
field of interest, in this case Marine Biology, and means that the person
is trained to conduct research and teach students on their own.=A0 BUT, the
point at which the person become a marine biologist, or any scientist, is
really much earlier, during their graduate studies.=A0 Graduate students in
science conduct research of their own, and many teach students, but they
are merely still under the advisement of their research advisors.=A0 I, for
example, am still working on my PhD, but I am already a scientist. =20

Good luck on your project!

Aloha -
Jen Philips

Jennifer D. Philips	=09