Subject: Dolphins & Whales in San Diego

Tue, 03 Nov 1998 10:03:52 -1000

>Dear Ms. Phillips:
>
>=A0=A0=A0=A0 Our class is going on a floating lab off the coast of San=
 Diego, CA
>in December.=A0 I want to know if there will be any dolphins mirgrating at
>that time.=A0 Are whales migrating at the same time as dolphins.=A0 What
>type of dolphins will we see?=A0 My favorite dolphin is the Bottle Nosed
>Dolphin.=A0 What is yours?=A0 If you know any other web sites on dolphins
>and whales in California, please let me know the address.=A0 Sincerely,
>Patrick 3rd Grade, Chaparral Elementary
>=20

Patrick -

The floating lab sounds like fun!  Lets see, the whales and dolphins near=
 San
Diego in December...
Whales may be in the area in December, just arriving from their summers up
north.  You may see gray whales, humpback whales, or blue whales nearby. =
 But,
they also may still be migrating, not quite in the San Diego area yet.  You
might also see bottlenose dolphins, pacific white-sided dolphins (my
favorite!), risso's dolphins, harbor porpoise, maybe even dall's porpoise.=
=20
There are many kinds of whales and dolphins that live in and around the San
Diego area, so you will definitely have fun!  Also, remember to look for sea
lions and seals!  They are beautiful, fun creatures to sea in the wild. =20

Also, you can look at these pages for more info on whales and dolphins:

http://www.whaletimes.org
http://fas.sfu.ca/cs/research/Whales/
http://www.physics.helsinki.fi/whale/

Have fun!