Subject: Great Barrier Reef Plants

Tue, 03 Nov 1998 22:11:37 -1000

>Dear Ms. Philips,
>Somewhere on the Net I saw your response to a young student regarding
>the Great Barrier Reef and I was hoping you could help my niece, who is
>doing a similar report. We have found quite a lot of information on the
>animal life, but very little on plant life, only algae and seeweed.
>Could you tell me what other plants exist in the Great Barrier Reef? All
>I would need is names--I can research from there. Thank you very much
>for any help you can give me.
>Linda Herman
>lindah@qnet.com

Linda -

I'm afraid that, since my concentration is in marine mammal behavior,
especially acoustics, I simply do not have any information available on the
plant species in the Great Barrier Reef.  I'm sorry!   I would suggest
looking for books on the GBR at a book store like Barnes and Noble or
Borders, or at the library.  The internet could also be a source, but it
can be difficult sometimes, I know, to find the information you want.
Also, look for old copies of National Geographics at the library - I would
guess that NG has done articles on the GBR sometime in the past!

Sorry I could not help more.  Good luck in your search.  Write again anytime!

Aloha -
Jen Philips

Jennifer D. Philips
jphilips@soest.hawaii.edu