Subject: Job with marine mammals in Japan

Thu, 05 Nov 1998 11:26:22 -1000

>Hello. I'm a freshman at a college in DC. I'm very interested in marine
>animals, dolphins in particular.
>My professor told me I should have as much experience as possible to
>pursue career in this area. Therefore I started looking for a job during
>next summer. Since I'm going back to my home country, Japan, I'd like to
>work there. However, I don't know how to find jobs in Japan. Do you have
>any idea? If you do, please tell me.
>I'll appreciate it. Hope to hear from you soon.

Searching for summer internships and volunteerships in the field of marine
mammals requires the same process regardless of the country you're
interested in working for, I'm pretty sure.  Any student seeeking such a
position should first start out by doing some extensive investigation into
the research facilities and researchers in the area they wish to go.  In
your case, Japan, I would start out by searching the internet for sites
pertaining to universities, marine life parks, and other research
facilities there.  Then contact the locations you find, preferrably
directly (by phone or email) at first, regarding positions they may be
hiring for.  They may even be able to give you additional information on
other marine mammal research in Japan you weren't able to find on the web.

In getting even unpaid summer  jobs, the competition can be fierce.  Don't
let this get you down though, just do your research before hand so you know
what work a facility is involved in before you contact them.  This is more
impressive than a person who just calls blindly.  Then be persistant, don't
feel bad about recontacting them after your initial email or conversation
with them.

I know one person in Japan who I will pass your email on to.  I do not
remember the name of the marine park he works for, but he may be able to
provide some more information for you.

Good luck!

Aloha -

Jen Philips