Subject: Protecting killer whales

Thu, 05 Nov 1998 11:51:45 -1000

>hi i'm mindy i just wanted to know why people wanted to kill killer whales.
>Aren't they basically useless to us besides that they're beautiful creatures?
>i love killer whales and i also want to know if i can do anything else to
>secure the orca population besides just recycling.
>												Thank You,
>														Mindy Pearson
>														L8TRG8TR24

Mindy -

Actually, people do not want to kill killer whales.  (The only time in
history that I think people have killed them is hundreds of years ago in
the Arctic, native peoples might have hunted them a bit.)  Did I understand
your question?  Killer whales these days are mostly undisturbed, and
certainly not killed, by humans.   In many areas, whale watching boating is
becoming a little bit of a problem to the populations of killer whales
because many boats chase the orcas of come too close to them.  And many
killer whales are held in captivity.  While this is not a bad thing in
itself, if the whale is not being well cared for the facility should not
have the whale (this is what happened in the "Free Willy" case).

In general, we should all work to protect the whales and dolphins, and all
other animals, of the oceans as humans become more and more active in the
ocean.  We have affected many species of plants and animals on the planet,
but we don't even know yet all of the problems our actions might cause.  We
should learn from our mistakes and start to protect our environment in
every way we can, including the oceans and the life there.  What can you
do?  Well, recycling is a good thing.  You can try to produce less garbage
in the first place, use less water, turn off the lights, commute to work
(by I guess you dont' drive yet!).  Anything you do that helps the
environment will help the whales, too.  As for whales in particular,
remember that your congressmen are the ones making all the decisions about
whales and their protection from humans activities.  Your congressman
represents you too, so I recommend finding out first about what issues are
being talked about in congress concerning whales and dolphins, then
contacting your congressman and telling him how you feel.  Also, tell your
friends and your family to do the same things.

I hope I've answered your questions.  Write again anytime!

Aloha -

Jen Philips

__________________________________

Jennifer D. Philips