Subject: Re: Whales

Greg Early (gearly@neaq.org)
Fri, 06 Nov 1998 13:49:14 -0500

At 11:11 AM 10/21/98 EDT, you wrote:
>Dear Greg Early ,
>
>     I am 10 and love whales! I was woundering what do you do if you find a
>whale stranded? Like a pilot or killer whale.  E-mail me at Emmbop7916.
>
>                                     Thanks,
>                                            Emmbop7916

Emm,

Sorry this took so long...Glad to hear you love whales...First, what YOU
should do if you see a whale stranded...is call the local Marine Mammal
Stranding Network...if you do not live near the ocean and do not know who
that might be, local police or Coast Guard, usually know who to call.  What
the stranding people will want is for you to be their eyes and ears while
they get someone to the location where the whale stranded.  They will want
to know the exact location, and if the whale is alive or dead.  If it is
alive someone should keep an eye on it until the right people get there to
keep people from hurting themselves or the whale trying to move it (pilot
whales are big enough that they can accidently hurt a person who is too
near)  if a whale is on shoer ant the tide is going out it may be sick or
badly hurt, and the stranding folks will want to get to it as soon as they
can.

What the stranding folks do is examine the whale and figure out if it is
too hurt to go back into the water, if it can be moved to a place to take
care of it, until it is healthy enough to go back to sea.

I've had to go to a lot of pilot whale strandings, but never a killer
whale.  Pilot whales are big enough that it can take 20 people to lift one
(or you have to use a crane and a truck).  Killer whales are twice as big
(at least).

Regards,

ge

Greg Early