Subject: Human and whale interactions

S. Jones (betej@u.washington.edu)
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 11:16:30 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, janet wrote:

> Hi Bete
>     I would like you to help me in this question.
>     Is it possible for a man being swallowed
>     up by a big whale and still can be alive in it.
>     Are there any incident of a person survived
>     through this?
>     Thanx for helping.
> Rdgs
> Janet

Dear Janet,

I am sure there has never been any case of a man being swallowed by a
whale and surviving inside its body.  Whales are gentle creatures that are
sometimes curious and approach boats.  This behavior can lead to
interactions with humans, but never of the kind you mention above.  The
whales do have large mouths that are capable of swallowing many prey items
at once.  But, these creatures feed primarily on small fish and krill.
Stories told in books like Moby Dick are only a myth.

I hope this information helps you.

Bete