Subject: Stranding of a melonhead whale

S. Jones (betej@u.washington.edu)
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 11:23:12 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998 GRNPASCUBA@aol.com wrote:

> I am helping Texas A&M trying to save a small melon-head whale.
> Does anyone know what the heartrate of a melonhead is and is there anywhere I
> can get specifications or information that might help us have a greater
> insight to want is taking place.
> The current heart rate is between 50-82 depending on where he is in the tank
> and how he is feeling. He is about 76 inches long and about 160 lbs. He is
> eating fish
> (dead, thawed) but doesn,t notice the fish swimming under him. He is not
> swimming on his own yet. But was recovered 7 days ago on South Padre Island
> Texas. We believe his mother died after grounding about 10 miles further down
> the beach. Linda may price did the acropcy(sp) on the female and has greater
> details if you need to get ahold of her. Tmmsn Texas marine mammel stranding
> network.
> This is more for my benefit to know more about what is taking place and what
> should be. Thank-you Glen R. Sayre

Dear Glen,

The information you are requesting is out of my area of expertise.
However, I suggest you post the message on Marmam, a marine mammal list
server that many experts in the field subscribe to.  The address is
marmam@uvvc.uvic.ca
You may also want to contact Fred Wenzel at fwenzel@whale.wheelock.edu  He
is based out of Wheelock College and may be able to offer additional
insight into your question.

Good luck!

Bete