Subject: Sonar Moratorium in the Ocean

S. Jones (betej@u.washington.edu)
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 11:27:41 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Ilona Levine wrote:

> I am writing to you on behalf of North Stratfield elementary school in
> Fairfield, Connecticut. We heard there will be an international moratorium
> on all sonar equipment but we don't know what the date is. Do you know?
> Thanks.
>
> Sincerely,
> Ilona Levine

Dear Ilona,
I have not heard of such a moratorium.  I am curious as to where you first
obtained this information.  Such a moratorium would affect many
industries, scientists, and military operations and would be difficult to
enforce.  I am also wondering if the moratorium is specific to a type of
sonar, since there are many different kinds used.

Bete