Subject: Careers in marine mammal science

S. Jones (betej@u.washington.edu)
Sat, 14 Nov 1998 22:26:04 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 14 Nov 1998, VICTORIA "VICKIE" BARGNESI wrote:

> My name is Angela Bargnesi and I am interested in a career in Marine Biology focusing on Marine mammals.  I am currently a senior at Gardner High School in Massachusetts.  I was wondering if you could suggest any colleges and universities in Massachusetts and surrounding states that do touch down on mammals.  This task is almost like finding a needle in a hay stack.  Thank you.

Dear Angela,

I am afraid the message you wrote to me is not appearing correctly.  In
any case, I have to mention that I graduated from Nashoba High School in
Bolton, MA in 1990.  We played you in sports - small world - my parents
still live in Stow.  Now to your question - Off the top of my head I can
think of two good schools in your area:  The College of the Atlantic
(Maine), and Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, and possibly UMASS.  I
am not sure if Woods Hole has undergraduate programs.  But, the Wheelock
College home page has a great link to the kind of information you are
looking for.  There is a link to the career page on the Society for Marine
Mammalogy's web page on the following page:
http://whale.wheelock.edu/whalenet-stuff/ed_resources.html

Good luck and write me if you have any more questions.

Bete