Subject: Gray whales

S. Jones (betej@u.washington.edu)
Sat, 21 Nov 1998 21:46:28 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 21 Nov 1998, John Sewards wrote:

> i'm doing a project for school and i need stats on the population of gray
> whales. How the population has changed. i need exact numbers.  i was
> wondering if u knew of any sites that would help me?
> thanks
> kellie

Dear Kellie,

The gray whale is the first large whale species to be taken off the
Endangered Species List.  It was taken off in 1994.  The population
numbers between 22,000 to 23,000 and scientists think this is how big the
population was before commercial whaling started.  I would check the
Endangered Species Act web page for exact numbers.

Good luck!

Bete