Subject: career in marine mammals

Dagmar Fertl (Dagmar_Fertl@mms.gov)
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 15:37:44 -0500

     Subject: can u help me?
     Author:  DUtChEs939@aol.com at ~smtp
     Date:    12/28/98 4:16 PM

     My name is Sherry and i am 16 years old.  I am really interested in
     marine biology as my career, especially whales.  Could you possibly
     give me some idea on what my courses should be in college and what
     colleges offer this kind of education.  I would appreciate it greatly.

     Thank you.

Hi Sherry, the WhaleNet website provides information (links) regarding careers
in marine mammal science...go to the education resources page and go down the
page to "careers".  The Society for Marine Mammalogy (SMM) has excellent
information about the kind of classes that are recommended.  I always tell
people it's best to get a general biology background, because there are more job
opportunities that way.  You get more specialized with each college degree you
get.  For example, I have a Bachelor's in Biology and my Master's in Wildlife
and Fisheries Science.  As far as schools go, the SMM "career information" has
some great advice on that as well - of course, the logical choice would be a
school that is close to a coastline for marine biology related courses.  You
might also look into programs like School for Field Studies and Earthwatch which
help give you some hands-on experience, which can help you better decide if you
truly want to be a marine biologist or not.

Good luck!
Dagmar