Subject: Orcas - do they mate for life

Dagmar Fertl (Dagmar_Fertl@mms.gov)
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 13:18:44 -0500

     Subject: ORCAS
     Author:  THOMASHOUSE@webtv.net (Matthew Thomas) at ~smtp
     Date:    1/1/99 11:54 PM

     IT HAS BEEN LONG AGREED UPON THAT MALE ORCAS STAY WITH THEIR MOTHER'S
     FOR LIFE.  DO THEY ALSO MATE FOR LIFE?  I BELIEVE THAT MANY YEARS AGO
     IT WAS BELIEVED THAT THEY MATED FOR LIFE.  PERHAPS BECAUSE THE MALES
     WERE ALWAYS SEEN TRAVELING WITH THE SAME FEMALES.  WITH LONG TERM
     RESEARCH AND IDENTIFACTION, I SUPPOSE NOW WE REALIZE THAT THESE
     FEMALES WERE ACTUALLY THEIR MOTHERS.  HOWEVER, ARE WE CERTAIN THAT
     THEY MATE FOR LIFE?  THANK YOU, BRANDY THOMAS

     From the Thomas Home

     To the Thomas Home.  None of the whales mate for life; for that
     matter, very few mammals mate for life.  I don't know if it was
     thought that killer whales (orcas) mated for life.  The fathers do not
     help to raise the babies.

     You obviously know a lot about killer whales, which is really great.
     There is a really great book on killer whales from Voyageur Press that
     was printed a few years ago, written by Sara and Jim Heimlich-Boran
     (two killer whale researchers) that you might want to check out, if
     you haven't done so already.

     Thanks for sending me a question!
     Dagmar