Subject: Looking for material

Phil Clapham (phillip.clapham@noaa.gov)
Fri, 08 Jan 1999 15:19:39 -0500

Hi:

The immediate answer to your question is that there are a couple of
books I'd recommend that are professional-level texts on cetaceans.
Both are available used from www.bibliofind.com (which is a superb
source for used books generally):

Slijper, E.J.  Whales.  Cornell University Press (also published earlier
by Basic Books - either edition is fine).  Very much out of date on
certain issues, but in terms of anatomy, physiology and much of the
basics of cetacean biology it is still the classic reference in the
field.  It's extremely well written (handles issues technically but in
terms that are easily understood), and is indispensable to the serious
student of the subject.

Evans, P.  The natural history of whales and dolphins.  Facts on File,
New York.  A very good introductory text.

On the coffee-table side of things, I'd push either my own most recent
books or one by my friend Dr Tony Martin:

Clapham, P.J.  Whales of the world.  Voyageur Press.

Martin, A.R.  Whales and dolphins.  Salamander Books.

In terms of careers, Whalenet has an excellent careers site, as does the
Society for Marine Mammalogy (http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~smm/).  This is
not an easy field to get into, especially for someone transferring from
an unrelated field; the key is proper training and experience.

Good luck.

Phil Clapham

--

Phillip J. Clapham, Ph.D.