Subject: Marine mammal careers

Phil Clapham (
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 06:20:29 -0500

Hi Sydney:

Thanks for your question.  As you've probably found out, there is a
whole page on careers in Whalenet, as well as one on the Society for
Marine Mammalogy's web page (

In answer to your question, you would make more money if you went into
research than if you were a trainer.  But you'd have to get an advanced
degree, preferably a PhD (a doctorate).  Since I do research, I also
think that researchers have a lot more fun than trainers (but they may
have a different idea!)  We get to go out onto the ocean and see lots of
different kinds of whales and dolphins.

Good luck!


Phillip J. Clapham, Ph.D.
Northeast Fisheries Science Center
166 Water Street
Woods Hole, MA 02543

tel (508) 495-2316
fax (508) 495-2066

hello. I am in the 7th grade and I am really interested in marine
animals and was thinking about marine 
biology. I was wondering, what exactly do marine biologists do? I was
wondering,would your pay be 
better if you went into research rather that training(such as working at
sea world)? I have learned a 
lot about the ocean and the animals that live there this year in science
class,and I was really 
interested in them. I think that whales are incredible creatures,they
are my favorite ocean creature 
along with dolphins. if you could, would you please respond to me as
soon as possible-my email 
address is -- I really appreciate this web
page,and now I know that if I 
have any questions I can come to this web page.. 
    Thank You so much.
             Sydney Moore