Subject: Re: Makah nation

Phil Clapham (phillip.clapham@noaa.gov)
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 09:45:43 -0500

To my knowledge, the Makah are still intending to go out for gray
whales.  They had not taken one as of a few days ago, and the hunt has
been thwarted by this season's unusually late migration of gray whales
from the northern feeding grounds (perhaps related to it being a very
light ice year).  I don't know whether the Makah have a cut-off date,
after which they'll give up for the year.  At any rate, they still
intend to go out for gray whales; if not this season, then next.

Phil Clapham

--

Phillip J. Clapham, Ph.D.
Northeast Fisheries Science Center