Subject: (no subject)

Peter Scheifele (scheifel@uconnvm.uconn.edu)
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 09:51:51 -0500

At 01:13 PM 1/20/99 +0000, you wrote:
> Peter,
> I've been fascinated by whales for as long as I can remember.
>Unfortunately, living in the UK I have never actually seen one in the wild.....
>Though I hope to do so some time this year...
>
>I got your e-mail address from the Whale net web pages and was wondering if you
>help me with something that I wondered about for years.
>
>It always really upsets me to hear that so many whales are still being killed
>supposedly in the name of science. I think I read some where that since the
>world wide ban on whaling ban has been in effect an estimated 14,000 whales
>have still been killed........ is this true.

I'M NOT SURE OF THE EXACT NUMBER AS IT IS QUOTED HERE.  IT IS SAFE TO SAY
THAT THIS MORTALITY IS NOT DUE TO SCIENCE.  WHALING STILL OCCURS ASIDE OF
THE BAN (WHICH IS NO LONGER WORLDWIDE).  THERE ARE INCIDENTAL DEATHS DUE TO
VESSEL AND FISHING OPERATIONS, SOME ETHNIC HUNTING, VESSEL STRIKES, AND THE
LIST GOES ON. WHALING IS ONCE AGAIN, HAPPENING.

>Every little kid knows that the largest animal on earth is the Blue Whale (or
>at least that was what I was always taught) but do you know roughly what their
>world wide population is & where they are to be found  I've seen and read quite
>a bit about other great whales but have never managed to really find out much
>about the Great Blue Whale. Can you suggest anything in this field....any info
>greatly appreciated.

BLUE WHALES CAN BE FOUND OVER MOST OF THE GLOBE WITH THE POSSIBLE EXCEPTION
OF THE POLES.  PRESENTLY THERE ARE SOME 3000 OF THEM.  TWO SPECIFIC
REFERENCES WOULD INTEREST YOU:  "THE SIERRA CLUB HANDBOOK OF WHALES AND
DOLPHINS"  AND  THE "HANDBOOK OF MARINE MAMMALS VOL.3  THE SIRENIANS AND
BALEEN WHALES" BY RIDGWAY AND HARRISON.

>finally could you tell me (roughly) what the global population of any of the
>other great whales are and how this relates to the same time ten years ago???

I'M NOT QUALIFIED TO ANSWER THIS ONE SINCE IT IS VERY SPECIES-SPECIFIC.  SORRY.

>Thanks in advance for any information you have on this
>
>Regards
>
>Rob Jackson-Jones

Peter M. Scheifele
Bioacoustics Research