Subject: Re: Humpback awareness month

Peter Scheifele (scheifel@uconnvm.uconn.edu)
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 10:02:00 -0500

At 10:03 PM 1/24/99 EST, you wrote:
>I am wanting to know more about Humpback awareness month- February    Can you
>tell me more about it and why,when it was started.
>Who was the first person to site the humpback whale and where was it sited and
>when

No one is really sure of where or when the first humpback whales came from.
Some evidence points toward the Atlantic Ocean west of southern Europe and
Northern Africa.  Although O. Fabricius named the whale in 1780 a more
modern name was given in 1781 by G.H. Borowski Balaena novaengliae.  The
genus Balaena was chenged to Megoptera in 1932.

Some good resources:

1. The Handbook of Marine Mammals  Vol#
2. The Sierra Club handbook of Whales and Dolphins
3. Wings in the Sea
Peter M. Scheifele
Bioacoustics Research
Marine Operations Manager