Subject: Red sea whales

Al Romero (romero@macalester.edu)
Mon, 08 Feb 1999 14:40:05 -0600

--=====================_5274951==_.ALT

At 01:14 AM 2/8/99 -0600, you wrote:

> Dear Professor Romero - Is the depiction of whales in the Red Sea in the
time
> of Moses in the new animated movie accurate?  Were/are there whales in the
> Red Sea.  If so, what kind?  Are there any seas in which there are not
> whales?  Are there any fresh water whales?  Thank you for your attention to
> this query.  A number of young people await your reply.  D.C.P.

I am afraid that i have not seen the movie you talk about.  Yes, there are
several species of cetaceans (whales and dolphins) in the Red Sea including
the
rough-toothed dolphin, spinner dolphin, striped dolphin and common dolphin,
the
hump-backed dolphin, the bottlenose dolphin, and the Risso's dolphin.

You will find some species of whales at least at some time of the year in all
the oceans of the world and, yes, there are a few species of dolphins that are
freshwater (but not real freshwater whale).

Best wishes,

Aldemaro Romero, Ph.D.
Director and Associate Professor
Environmental Studies Program