Subject: Earliest whale

Al Romero (romero@macalester.edu)
Mon, 08 Feb 1999 15:23:03 -0600

At 02:41 PM 2/8/99 -0500, you wrote:
>my son is in first grade and is fascinated with whales. he had to do a report
>on whales, a way of learning to do research, one of the questions was a
little
>complex and hard for me to answer his question.
>here goes-- WHERE WAS THE FIRST WHALE FOUND? --
>i know they evolved from land creatures, but when and where did man first
>contact them??
> thank you for any help you can give me on this subject.
> DARWIN L. MUSHRUSH III

The earliest fossil whale found sofa was reported two months ago in the
Proceedings of the National  Academy of Sciences. The scientific name given
is Himalayacetus subatheunsis. It is about 53.5 million years old, about
3.5 million years older than previous oldest fossil known.  It was found in
Northern India (that part of the world used to be around the Tethys Sea, a
now disappeared sea where it seems whales originally evolved.

Best wishes,

Aldemaro Romero, Ph.D.
Director and Associate Professor
Environmental Studies Program