Subject: Bottlenose dolphin jumping

Al Romero (romero@macalester.edu)
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 07:51:17 -0600

At 04:57 PM 2/9/99 -0800, you wrote:
>I am working on a project due Thursday,  can you help me.  I have all the
>information I need except for "how high the average bottle nose dolphin
>will jump"  Can you please help me find the answer.  Thanks for your time.
>
>		Thank,
>			Mandy

I could not find any records of bottle nose dolphins "jumping" in the wild.
This behavior, better known as breaching, is much more common among other
species of dolphins such as the spinner dolphin.  However, bottle nose
dolphins do jump out of the water in aquaria where they are trained by
humans to do so; thus, this behavior is not very natural.  I have seen
these dolphins jumping 6-8 meters under these circumstances.

Best wishes,

Aldemaro Romero, Ph.D.
Director and Associate Professor
Environmental Studies Program