Subject: Miscellaneous

Al Romero (romero@macalester.edu)
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 09:55:11 -0500 (EST)

At 08:23 AM 1/31/99 -0800, you wrote:
>I have some question I can't find any where.
>-What is the crusty like things we may see on a whale?

I think you refer to barnacles that are frequently found on the skin of
many species of baleen whales such as the gray whale.  These are a group of
crustaceans that, being filter feeders, take advantage of whales constantly
moving around in order to capture organic material in the water.

>-Do whales breath underwater?

No. All whales, being mammals, breath only the air found in the earth's
atmosphere. That is why they have to surface.

>-Describe the body of a whale?

Whales and other cetaceans (dolphins, porpoises) for that matter, come in
different shapes and forms. Some have rounded heads such as pilot whales;
others have an extraordinarily large head (sperm whales), others have
elongated pectoral fins (humpbacks).  However, all of them have in common
elongated bodies that make their swimming easier.

Aldemaro Romero, Ph.D.
Director and Associate Professor
Environmental Studies Program
Macalester College