Subject: Re: Grade 12 student

Al Romero (romero@macalester.edu)
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 20:46:57 -0600

--=====================_1257820==_.ALT

At 05:51 PM 1/31/99 -0800, you wrote:

> Hello.  My name is Laurel Bennett.  I live in British Columbia Canada.  I
> have an assingment to do for my Career Prep BioSciences class, I was
> wondering if you could help me out and answer a few questions.
>
> 1.  Why did you want to go into this career?

I made the decision when I was 7 years old after seeing Cousteau's "The Silent
World" movie.  To me was like the best chance to visit another planet in my
lifetime.

> 2.  What type of courses did you have to take in College/University?

As a marine biologist you should major in biology.  However, depending upon
the
type of specialization you want to get into (ecology, behavior, taxonomy,
evolution, etc.) you should emphasize certain courses over others.

> 3.  What do you like the most about your job?

That I am learning new things everyday

> 4.  What do you like the least about your job?

That we know so little.

> 5.  What has changed since you first started?

Technology, mostly.  Now we have a number of tools (personal computers,
underwater devices, etc.) that allow us to work faster and get some
insights. A
lot of work has been published since. Yet, humans are far from really grasping
the complexity of the life history of most marine mammals.

> 6.  What is the most valuable thing you have learned?

Humility. Marine mammals can do things that we, with all our technological
advances, can hardly imitate. They have developed a social system that I wish
we had for many aspects of our own lives.

> 7.  What is a typical day at work like?

Varies a lot. When you are in the field your are mostly collecting data. Back
at your lab you try to make sense of it, writing papers and grant proposals to
see if you can get to the field to collect more data. I also interact a lot
with my students.

> 8.  If you had the chance to start over, would you have choosen the same
> career?  Why or why not?

Yes. Why not?

> 9. What advice could you give to people wanting to enter this career?

Don't do it for money. Do it because you love it and you are ready to make
many
sacrifices in a career where academic position opportunities are very few.  If
you want to have a comfortable life and make money, then become a lawyer, a
doctor, or a Wall Street broker. Get your scuba diving certificate and go to
the sea on weekends or on vacations.

> 10.  What is the hardest obstacle you had to overcome to reach your goal of
> being in this type of job, if any?

To get the right job in the right place.

> 11.  Do you like your job?

Oh yeah...

> 12.  Did you have to complete any type of work experience during
> College/University?

Yes, research and teaching

> 13.  What did you do for work experience if any?

Got as much as possible as researcher and writer. Approached people who are
already in the field. Almost all work experience is valuable.

> 14.  Do you learn anything new during a typical day at work?

I try to.

> 15.  What is the most rewarding thing you have either learned or experienced
> during your career?

To be close to marine mammals.