Subject: Whale hormones

Al Romero (romero@macalester.edu)
Mon, 01 Feb 1999 18:00:07 -0600

At 03:41 PM 2/1/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Dr. Romero,
>
>My name is Paige Murphy, and I am a student at Jacksonville State
>University in Jacksonville, Alabama.  On Friday, February 5, 1999, I will
>be giving a lecture on whale hormones.  The only problem is that I am
>having a hard time finding anything on whale endocrinology.  If you could
>please help me, I would greatly appreciate it.
>
>Thanks,
>Paige Murphy
>st3474@student-mail.jsu.edu

Paige:

Not much is known because endocrinological studies must be carried out in
captivity and the numbers of species that have been kept in captivity is
small, and endocrinological studies are even rarer.

We do know, for example, that females of bottlenose dolphins are sporadic
ovulators, ovulating repeatedly during a given season, while males are
active throughout the year with prolonged elevation of testosterone
concentrations over the months that different females may be ovulating; all
that based hormonal monitoring.

We also know that thyroid hormone levels are relatively high; but what to
make of that is a totally different matter.

Best wishes,

Aldemaro Romero, Ph.D.
Director and Associate Professor
Environmental Studies Program