Subject: I want to become a marine mammal scientist

Al Romero (romero@macalester.edu)
Wed, 03 Feb 1999 17:09:55 -0600

--=====================_14073635==_.ALT

At 11:32 AM 2/3/99 -0700, you wrote:

> Hi, my name is Carlos Rincon, I am a sophmore at Cathedral H.S. in El Paso,
> TX. I have always been fascinated by the many wonders of the marine world
and
> would like to take up a career in it. My main question that I can't seem to
> get answered anywhere is: which is the most recommended (or well known for)
> university(ies) for marine mammal biology/ecology in the United States? I
> would really appreciate it if you could help me, I know your probably a busy
> man. Thank you for your time.

Actually it depends upon the kind of specialization you want to do. Some
colleges and universities are very good in marine ecology, others have a
superb
faculty in systematics, others are more environmentally oriented. Thus, you
have to ask yourself what exactly you want to do before deciding where to do
it.  Generally most people do not make that kind of decision until after they
finish their undergraduate and have a better, more solid idea of what marine
biology is all about.

I know this does not answer your question directly, but it should give you a
sense of the complexity of the field and why so many people literally wander
from one field to another before making a final commitment.

Cheers,

Aldemaro Romero, Ph.D.
Director and Associate Professor
Environmental Studies Program