Subject: Whales and dolphins in history

Al Romero (romero@macalester.edu)
Thu, 04 Feb 1999 07:02:25 -0600

--=====================_64024785==_.ALT

At 04:24 PM 2/3/99 -0800, you wrote:

> Dear Mr. Romero:
> I am working on my senior project for high school.  I am interested in
> becoming a marine biologist and for my project I am taking diving lessons.
> For my project I am required to do a research paper on my topic.  I was
going
> to write my paper on dolphins and echolocation, but as I started to do my
> research I became intrigued by the role whales and dolphins have played in
> legends, myths and even the Bible.  I am thinking about changing my paper
> topic to the role whales and dolphins have played in old legends and myths,
> but am having a very hard time finding good resources to use for my
paper.  I
> was wondering if you would happen to know where I could find any information
> that could help me. Thank you for your time.  Please email me back at
> <mailto:ljcowgirl@hotmail.com>ljcowgirl@hotmail.com

Probably the "classical" book on this area is "The Dolphin in History" by A.
Montagu and J. C. Lilly, published by the Williams Andrews Clark Memorial
Library of the University of California at Los Angeles in 1963. Besides
that, I
know that most "tea-table" books on whales and dolphins usually include a
section or chapter on the role these animals have played in history.

Best wishes,

Aldemaro Romero, Ph.D.
Director and Associate Professor
Environmental Studies Program
Macalester College
1600 Grand Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55105-1899
(651) 696-8157
(651) 696-6443 (fax)
romero@macalester.edu

I am working on my senior project for high school.  I am interested in becoming a marine biologist and for my project I am taking diving lessons.  For my project I am required to do a research paper on my topic.  I was going to write my paper on dolphins and echolocation, but as I started to do my research I became intrigued by the role whales and dolphins have played in legends, myths and even the Bible.  I am thinking about changing my paper topic to the role whales and dolphins have played in old legends and myths, but am having a very hard time finding good resources to use for my paper.  I was wondering if you would happen to know where I could find any information that could help me. Thank you for your time.  Please email me back at ljcowgirl@hotmail.com