Subject: marine biology

Al Romero (romero@macalester.edu)
Fri, 05 Feb 1999 09:01:38 -0600

At 08:27 PM 2/4/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Mr. Romero
>
>I'm 12 years old and am interested in marine biology, especially whales.  I
>wanted to know if you think marine biology is a good field to go in to?
>
>Erin

Marine Biology is an exciting career. I am in it and very happy about it,
but it is also a scientific career, above all. Let me explain. Many people
feel fascinated about marine biology at a young age because of the movies
and documentaries they see. I know, I was one of them.  However, most
marine biologists do not spend most of their time out in the ocean or
dealing directly with their favorite subject. They have to go through many
years of intensive training at the academic level which usually means many
hours studying in an office or a library and dealing with a lot of paper work.

My recommendation to you is that you should do some voluntary or internship
work in a research institution and then decide if that life if for you.
Unfortunately, most of us do not have the type of life shown on TV of
marine biologists riding whales, wrestling with sharks, or things like
that. That is Hollywood. The real world is totally different. I should also
mention that the job market for marine biologists is extremely tight. That
is another consideration you should keep in mind.

Cheers,

Al Romero