Subject: Whereabouts of the California gray whales

Al Romero (romero@macalester.edu)
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 14:19:48 -0600

At 08:01 AM 2/10/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Dear Dr. Romero,
>
>I am looking everywhere for an answer to this question:
>
>Where are the California grays?  Late in beginning the southward
>migration, few appear to have reached the calving lagoons in Baja
>California.  A friend in northern California informs that the number in
>the northward migration recently begun appears to be normal.
>
>Can you assist with numbers or point the way with referrals?
>
>Dian Hardy

Dates of migration and abundance of gray whales vary from one year to
another depending on such things as climatic conditions. Given that last
year we were still being heavily aafected by an unusually strong "El Nino"
event, nobody is surprised that this year they are coming in late.

I am not aware of any public data on this. It is just too early to have all
the information on this  topic. Still, if you are interested you may want
to contact the people at NOAA in San Diego, California, and ask them if
they have any data. I am sorry, but I don't know any names of people
working on this particular issue.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Aldemaro Romero, Ph.D.