Subject: Marine mammal programs

Al Romero (romero@macalester.edu)
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 14:26:59 -0600

---------- Forwarded message ----------

At 11:54 AM 2/10/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I am interested in attending gradutae school for marine mammal science,
>but I am finding it difficult to find a specific program of study.
>Could you please let me know of any schools that have specific marine
>mammal graduate programs. Thank You
>										Jamie Owen

There are many marine mammal programs in the US, each with different
strengths and weaknesses. Depending what you want to do (ecology and
conservation, parasites, bioacoustics, etc.) some program will have the
appropriate faculty for each specialty.

My recommendation is to start the other way around, that is, figure out
exactly what type of marine mammal research you would like to be involved
in (the above examples are just a few), find out who are the experts on
that and the get in touch with them directly to see what opportunities may
be available. In graduate school faculty, more than the school itself, is
what really matters when it comes to make that kind of decisions.

Best wishes,

Aldemaro Romero, Ph.D.
Director and Associate Professor
Environmental Studies Program