Subject: Marine Mammal Questions

bcooper@neaq.org
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 00:14:19 -0500 (EST)

Hello Candace,
I'll answer some of your questions, some of them can be answered by
checking out the WhaleNet website http://whale.wheelock.edu , by visiting
your library at school, by  doing searches on the internet.
 Try the "Howtofind" button on the WhaleNet home page its a great tool.

> WHAT KIND OF ANIMALS DO MARINE MAMMALS INCLUDE?

The group includes all the cetaceans: baleen whales, toothed
whales, dolphins and porpoises. It includes the pinnipeds: seals, sea
lions, and walrus. It also includes manatees, dudongs, sea otters and
polar bears.

> WHERE ARE MOST MARINE MAMMALS LOCATED?

They are distributed around the worlds oceans.

> DO MARINE MAMMALS BREED?

Yes.

> DO CETACEANS INCLUDE ALL MARINE MAMMALS, OR ARE THERE OTHER KINDS OF
> MARINE MAMMALS?

Cetaceans are marine mammals

> ARE THERE FRESH WATER MARINE MAMMALS?

Yes, Lake Biakal seals, and river dolphins.

> WHAT ENVIROMENT DO MARINE MAMMALS LIVE IN?

> HOW DID MARINE MAMMALS EVOLVE?

Well, pretty broad subject. Any good books on mammal evolution should
cover most of the marine mammals. You might try: The Natural History of
whales and dolphins by Peter Evans 1987 or Seals of the World by Judith
King 1983.

> WHAT DO MARINE MAMMALS EAT?

Diet varies between species, some eat fish, others eat plankton, still
others eat plants and algae.

> WHAT KIND OF HABITAT DO MARINE MAMMALS LIVE IN?

They all spend a good portion of thier life in the water. Some are
coastal, others are more pelagic: offshore. The books mentioned above
would be good resources for this kind of information.

> DO ANY MARINE MAMMALS LIVE IN ICY WEATHER OR COLD WATER?

Yes, some do. You might try some of the links in the educational resources
section of Whalenet
http://whale.wheelock.edu/whalenet-stuff/ed_resources.html

> DO MARINE MAMMALS KILL OTHER ANIMALS FOR FOOD?

Yes some do.

> CAN YOU FIND MARINE MAMMALS IN ALL CONTINENTS?

In the waters surrounding the continents, yes.

> HOW LONG DO MARINE MAMMALS LIVE?

Length of life varies by species.

> HOW DO MARINE MAMMALS BEHAVE?

I am not much of a behaviorist so I'll refer you to:
whale.wheelock.edu/whalenet-stuff/classifications.html look for the
section on behavior

> ARE MARINE MAMMALS POWERFUL?

As a general rule, yes.

> ARE MARINE MAMMALS QUIET?

No. Some make quite a racket. checkout the "sounds" page at Whalenet.
Peter Evans has a nice discussion on the sounds that cetaceans make in
"The Natural History of Whales and Dolphins"

I hope I've answered your questions well enough to make you more curious.

Good Luck,

Bob Cooper.