Subject: Threats to whale survival

Al Romero (romero@macalester.edu)
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 15:41:14 -0600

>Hi!
>Other than hunting in the past, what are the main threats to whale
>survival, and how are  conservationists addressing these problems?
>Thank you, Peggy Thomas,   PegTwrite@aol.com

Present threats have to do with what we humans are doing to the
environment. First, pollution. There is an increasing concern that sea
pollution may be not only displacing whales from specific habitats but also
weakening their immune system and making them more prone to infectious
diseases. Also there is concern that "noise" pollution (ships, oil
platforms, drilling, etc.) may affect these animals that depend so much on
sound for communication. Most efforts are being concentrated on studying
these problems of which we know very little.

Best wishes,

Aldemaro Romero, Ph.D.
Director and Associate Professor
Environmental Studies Program