Subject: Blue Whales

Al Romero (romero@macalester.edu)
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 07:40:35 -0600

>	As a concerned being of our planets' environment and its' inhabitants, I
have
>had a long interest in the Great Blue Whale and their well being. For years I
>have kept an ear to the concerns of  the whales of this world, and have heard
>many references to sperms, humpbacks, and others, but never to the Great
>Blues. I am almost afraid to delve into this deeply, as I fear I may find
that
>they have become more than endangered.
>	I have spent time on the WWW searching for information, but seem to keep
>running into dead ends when it comes to finding out about the number of these
>giants that may still be left on earth.
>	Please send me a response. I feel like I need to know. Thank you.

You are right in being concerned about the status of the populations of
blue whales since their number were drastically reduced due to whaling.
Although we figures we have are not very precise, estimates in the number
of blue whales run between 4,500 and 6,000 for the North Pacific and over
100,000 in the Southern hemisphere (including the northern Indian Ocean).
Where the situation is really critical is in the North Atlantic where it is
estimated that the total number is just few hundreds.

Best wishes,

Aldemaro Romero, Ph.D.
Director and Associate Professor
Environmental Studies Program