Subject: Re: do you answer questions

Phil Clapham (phillip.clapham@noaa.gov)
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 09:34:15 -0500

Hi:

Orcas are about the most widely distributed of all the 78-or-so species
of cetaceans.  They are found from the tropics to the poles in all
oceans of the world.  This doesn't mean one group necessarily travels
over these distances, rather there are separate populations whose ranges
are large but which probably inhabit different areas and habitats.

There are at least two "types" of orcas, which are very different
socially, ecologically and genetically - essentially they're probably in
the process of becoming separate species.  The first are the so-called
Residents, which eat primarily fish.  The others, the Transients, do not
eat fish, but prey instead on marine mammals and a few other things.

The most famous orca populations are those of the Pacific Northwest.
I'd imagine if you did searches on kilkler whale or orca you'd find a
lot more information.  The easiest general reference is any good whale
book, like the Sierra Club Handbook of Whales and Dolphins.  I also have
a chapter on orcas in my last book :Whales of the World" (Voyageur
Press), but there are far more detailed write-ups available.

Hope this helps!

Phil Clapham

--

Phillip J. Clapham, Ph.D.