Subject: Re: question 4U

bcooper@neaq.org
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 21:17:45 -0500 (EST)

Hi Floriancic,
	I didn't know this! Thanks for writing and asking about it. It
turns out that "lb", the abbreviation for pound, is a holdover from latin.
The English pound evolved from the Roman libra.
Libra is also the latin word for scales.

Source: www.niva.com/writblok/fall98/a-letter.htm

Good luck,

Bob Cooper
Sr. Biologist